Monday, July 28, 2008

Zero hour, 9 AM...

No, nothing to do with that song 'Rocket Man'...

I'd been playing a fair amount of Zero Hour recently, and considering that a) It comes with a free mapmaking tool, and b) I am really sick of the standard 8 player maps my friends only seem to want to play, I thought I might try my hand at making my own. After all, its the game designer thing to do.

So after a first failed map (the supply docks were off the map, the start points were half off) I made this one. Its hardly a masterpiece, but it still plays fine and I did put some thought into it's design. The primary thing here is that you'll need to expand into the centre, but doing so will put you into direct conflict with your neighbor. Furthermore, do you rush for the supplies, or attempt to take the artillery and use it too secure the centre early?

To be honest, I have no idea. I've tested it in game, but I haven't put in AI waypoints yet, so it wasn't that much of a challenge. I've also realised that for three players, as is the way we play at the moment, its going to be awfully unfair on who ever gets stuck in the middle.

Maybe I should focus more on only three player maps?

No comments:

Post a Comment