Friday, August 30, 2013

Big Stompy One Month Review

At this juncture I think its only right that I take a moment to assess my work from the month that's past since issuing this little challenge to myself. In a word: Poor. In two words: Needs Improvement. In many words: Wait, I just figured you gave up on this whole thing. You're still doing this? Ok whatever.

So yeah.. in this last month I did half of a prototype and presented 3 prototypes total for consideration. Not really good enough when I've only got 12 of them to all up. I've got plenty of excuses, but really that's not even enough. I should be doing better than this. So with that in mind, next month is going to be a post-a-day type thing. I have some big things happening that month so I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to pull it off, but better to try and fail than not try at all.

Also, as you might have noticed in the pic to the left, I've decided to go with SoundsLike (or whatever the name ends up becoming). In a totally separate conversation with someone, they kind of reminded me that sometimes you've just gotta focus on just getting the easy stuff out there, and SoundsLike definitely requires less to look interesting compared to the other two. I still want to revisit both of them sometime, but it will be after SoundsLike at this stage.

Anyway, so first thing will be ironing out the missing mechanic and screen designs, and then working towards a vertical slice. At that point, I'll reassess again and see if things are working or not so working.

There are still a lot of potential known issues that I've been thinking about, so I'm going to try and address them in the design stage following. Chief concern is copyright issues... I think I should be fine depending on how I present the game, but if the worst happens I can always build the game around the mechanic in such a way that I can switch it out for something else if needed. I am also going to expand the scope of the music quite a bit... Still keep that hipster douche superiority factor but include more mainstream/known music, as well as split things up a little more so people can focus on their genre/era. As much as I want to make it just music I think is good, I can't expect everyone to be able to name the greatest songs of the Australian alternative scene 1995-2005, or assorted British stock funk music of the 1970's.

No comments:

Post a Comment