Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Apex Diver #2 - Demo's ain't dead


Have an android device? Know how to install apps? Why not check out my first android game!
Download it here : http://www.bigstompyrobots.com/apexdiver/android/apexdiver-1.0.0.apk

So from what I was saying the other day:
- It now scales depending on what your phone can handle. Scaling to screen size should be fine and most current phones should be able to run it fine with scanlines and lighting effects turned off. I'm pretty confident this is working as expected.

- Tracking and analytics are somewhat in. It's a really basic implementation, and at the moment I'm not sure if it's working or if using Google Analytics is the right choice. I figured I may as well make stand alone copies that I can just test randomly in the meantime. There's a lot of room for improvement but I'll make sure it actually works before messing with it anymore.

- Ads are in too. They work as they should (I'm pretty sure) but they came with a couple of odd problems that I need to remember for next time. Firstly, they need to be placed according to the device width/height... using the room as reference ended up with it sitting off center. Secondly, while the shaders are on, it drops performance a fair bit (enough to drop my galaxy S3 from showing lighting effects to showing no effects). I was tossing up between having an onscreen banner or having ads appear after retrying or something similar, so the performance loss alone might be reason enough to change it.

- I totally forgot to look into storing user preferences/high scores, so that's not going to be a thing until the next time I come around to Apex Diver.

This is probably as much as I'm going to do on Apex Diver for at least a week. Onto something different in the meantime...

No comments:

Post a Comment